Frugal Frocks 2021 Challenge: DIY Shirred Dress

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

I am participating in this month's #FrugalFrocks2021 Challenge by Frugalisama and The Yorkshire Sew Girl

The challenge is super simple-- sew a dress in March with fabric already in your stash and with a free pattern or by drafting your own pattern.  I chose the latter.   I really wanted to try making a shirred dress (a nod to Hill House Nap dress that seems to be super popular on Instagram), and after watching By Hand London's free instructions on their Instagram Stories, it seems very easy to make.  👍  Mine looks like a cross between this Hill House dress and By Hand London dress.

I just needed three rectangles (one for shirring/bodice making; and two for sleeves).  I had this beautiful pink cotton fabric in my stash from so long ago that I don't even recall when I got it.

Shirring was very easy.  I got some Gutermann elastic for bobbin and then regular pink thread to match the fabric and just had to play around with the tension on my sewing machine to get it right.  

The sleeves were just rectangles with 1/4 inch elastic inserted at both ends.  The top elastics make sure the sleeves stay on my shoulders, and the bottom elastics make sure the sleeves hold on to my upper arms.

The finished dress is very comfy. It is the queen of stretch because everything just fits according to the elastic parts.  When the weather gets warmer, I will be grabbing for this dress!   Thank you to the hosts for sponsoring this challenge! 

(Here is a sneaky peek of the shirring inside. I also finished all the edges with my pastel rainbow overlock thread)

Post a Comment