Finlayson Sweater for Dad

Saturday, January 16, 2021

 

For Christmas this year, I bit the bullet and decided to make clothes for my parents.  I really wasn't sure if that was the best idea because at that time, I had only made about two pieces of garments.  But my lovely girlfriends gave me a fabulous gift card to Mood Fabrics, and I was able to purchase really good quality fabrics to make beautiful garments.  So I said to myself, "why not?  if it's not perfect, they will still love it and can wear it at home."  😆

So, I got this Navy and Red Cotton French Terry (with a little bit of stretch for comfort) from Mood Fabrics, and this shawl collar men's pattern by Thread Theory called Finlayson Sweater from Hawthorne Supply Co.   The pattern (unlike Tilly and the Buttons) was not in color, so I had to pay very careful attention to which is the right side and the wrong side, but I think it turned out pretty okay.  My Dad when he initially opened it, looked at it very carefully to see where it was made from. I told him that I made it, and he was quite surprised and happy.  I think he especially liked the shawl collar.  

One thing that I am very proud of in this piece is the line matching I did. If you look at the picture of the sleeve below, the lines match! I pinned it like a little hedgehog to make sure they line up, and it was definitely worth the effort!





Post a Comment