Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges Dress in Cotton Lawn

Saturday, February 13, 2021

This Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges Dress is one of my first #makenine2021.  After making a number of stretchy comfy home outfits, I decided to challenge myself with buttons, button holes, and bias binding!   I've made a lot of bias binding for quilts, but this was first time putting it on a garment.  

The beautiful butterfly cotton lawn is from Rifle Paper Co. called English Garden Monarch.  The background is very dark green, and the butterflies have some sparkling metallic in them. 

Megan Nielsen's instruction was relatively easy to follow. I was a bit confused about how to place the bias binding and then around the placket, but reviewing the pattern again and marking the fabric correctly helped.  I used a button accordion (aka. SimFlex Expanding Sewing Gauge)😁, and all the buttons are properly placed.  The buttons are from my stash (they are Lori Holt buttons from the Fat Quarter Shop-- sold out now but similar ones here).  I choose to put different buttons in the same color to make it a bit funky.
 
I really like now the skirt puffs out from the gathers around the waist. And it has pockets! 

 
 I was initially thinking I should leave the sleeves without the elastic because I was worried that the elastic might be too constricting, but following the instructions, the elastics are just perfect.  Not too tight and keeps the sleeves down. 
Now, I just need to wait for when we can go out for a weekend brunch with the girls.  😊



Post a Comment